Monday, June 8, 2009

My Sewn Creation

For quite some time now I have been thinking about how I should start sewing more often and a couple weeks ago I put those thoughts into action! Before coming up to South Bend I made it my goal to make a skirt. While looking for some fabric I came upon some old dress shirts that Dad had given to me. I thought it would be a fantastically simple idea to make a skirt out of one.

However, as I was explaining my technique to Mom she became disgusted with me and told me to use a pattern. And being the kind mother that she is, she found one that showed how to make a skirt out of a men's shirt. I ended up buying another shirt that didn't have a pocket on it to stick with the pattern Mom found me. After following the pattern, I was able to produce what you see above. I'm quite pleased with my skirt, feel a bit more confident in my sewing abilities and am looking forward to my next sewn creation!

5 comments:

Deb said...

You make me sound like such a mean old mom! I simply want you to understand the process before trying to come up with your own creations!

Matt and Sonya said...

Ha ha. We all know that you are not a mean Mom. But it is so like you to research and find something better than one of us would take the time to find on our own! That's what is so great about you.

Nice work, Nicole! I can only imagine your feelings of accomplishment. I could only dream of being able to sew anything...or to have the patience to try!

Nicole said...

Well Mom, you were disgusted with me. However, at the same time you were being the loving and considerate mother that you are in finding me a pattern to make the skirt I wanted!

Thanks, Sonya. It does feel good looking at my skirt all put together!

mmncgrand said...

Hey Nicole, good job!! Cute skirt! Keep it up and you will be an expert in sewing like your Mom is. It takes creative people to come up with beautiful sewing projects.

RosebudWitt said...

Nicole, you are so talented! Shoot...if I could learn how to sew, I would never have to shop agian! How great would that be!?! You should hear the amount of compliments I got when I wore the skrit you mom made me! But reality has set in, and my mom is an expert sewer and has tried teaching all us girls several times, and it just didn't take wiht me. Oh, to be like you...