Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pike's Peak or Bust!

For some time now I have been dreaming of finding a mountain in Indiana. I know this really is quite impossible but yet I still had hope I could find one. There is a burning desire within me to find this Indiana mountain, climb it, come back down, buy a t-shirt, draw a picture of me on top of the mountain in Indiana and proudly wear this t-shirt boasting the feat I have just accomplished. This dream will soon be able to become a reality as a result of a discovery I made today! 
While looking at a map of Indiana to find where the center of the United State's population is located (another great adventure waiting to happen!) I saw these word's: Pike's Peak! And you all thought Pike's Peak was in Colorado! No, no. America's Mountain may be in Colorado, but Pike's Peak is just a little bit southwest of Columbus, Indiana.















Apparently a man named Adrian Miller was planning on moving out to Colorado to take advantage of the 1875 Homestead Act. As he set out west his conestoga wagon declared his intent: "Pike's Peak or Bust"! However, Miller only made it slightly further than Columbus, IN. In an effort to maintain his dignity, he named the hill Pike's Peak and the name settled in.

I am so excited about this new Indiana find and cannot wait to go hike this "mountain" and make my t-shirt! Would anyone like to join me on this tremendous adventure in the Indiana wilderness?

8 comments:

Courtney said...

Nicole this is so great! I can't wait to go with you.

Nicole said...

Courtney, I'm so glad you are sharing in my excitement!!

marcuswitt said...

do they have a cog railway that takes you to the top of the peak?

mmncgrand said...

That's okay. You can go, I will watch.

Nicole said...

That's a good question, Marcus! I'll let you know when I check it out. Grandma, sure you don't want to join Courto and I on this hike? It'll be a lot shorter than the one in the Rockies!

Courtney said...

You didn't say we were hiking it. I'm not so sure about this like adventure anymore.

Nicole said...

Oh come on, Courtney! It'll be a lot easier than the version in the Rockies. You can hike Indiana's and say you hiked Pike's Peak and people will be so impressed with you!

RosebudWitt said...

Nicole, sign me up. I would do this with you in a heart beat. But, their might be a commute issue.