Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tidbits from GoGo Sandy

I met Sandy when I went to Malawi in the summer of 2007. She had been at Rafiki for two months before I got there and left at the same time I did. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to spend my month in Africa with GoGo Sandy and was glad that she also lived in Indiana! We've met up a few times since getting back and keep in touch via e-mail. I stinking love this lady, she always makes me laugh and inspires me with her generous spirit and adventurous attitude. Just recently she sent me a list she entitled "tidbits of useless knowledge" that I thought I would pass along to you viewers. Here they are: 

  • A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off.
  • A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21 inch tongue
  • A sneeze travels out of your mouth at over 100 m.p.h.
  • Mosquitoes have teeth
  • Most American car horns beep in the key of F
  • A mole can dig a tunnel 300 feet in just one night

  • In case you are wondering which one Sandy is in the picture, she's the mzunga (white person). And if you were also wondering what "gogo" means, it's the Malawian word for "grandma".

    3 comments:

    Courtney said...

    I assumed the gogo was because she's always on the go. I am glad you explained the true meaning of her nickname.

    Deb said...

    so good to know! Next time I see a cockroach I will do much more than chop it's head off!!

    RosebudWitt said...

    My most recent comment on the post you wrote above, was supposed to be written here. Whoops. Not sure where the breakdown happened.