Monday, April 6, 2009

Aunt Susie's Favorite Sleeve Ilk

Thanks to Uncle Dennis' newspaper word game, I learned a new word today: raglan. In the picture below I am modeling a raglan jacket as well as demonstrating what you get to do upon entering the barn in the wonderful game of euchre (milk the cow!). 
 
Here is a definition of raglan for you:

adj. Having or being a sleeve that extends in one piece to the neckline of the garment, with slanted seams from the armhole to the neck. 
n. A garment, such as an overcoat or a sweater, that has raglan sleeves. 

The word came about between 1860-65 and was named after Lord Raglan, a British field marshal who had a raglan coat fashioned to accommodate his new frame after loosing an arm in the Battle of Waterloo.

6 comments:

RosebudWitt said...

Are your dreads still in? I will be highly dissappointed if I don't get to see them live.

Nicole said...

Oh don't worry, they are still in! I won't be chopping them at least until after I see you. This is an old picture.

Matt and Sonya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt and Sonya said...

Nicole! I remember this. It's at our Indy apartment after our Christmas celebration of shopping and dinner with you and Courtney. If I remember correctly, I was your teammate and we smoked Matt and Courtney! Am I right? :)

Nicole said...

Yes, we did certainly spank them and it was great fun!

RosebudWitt said...

I am not surprised by this at all. Nicole and Sonya...that's what they do, they win.