Monday, December 1, 2008

Salmagundi And A Pun

Here is a 17th century recipe of salmagundi from The Good Huswives Treasure:
"Cut cold roast chicken or other meats into slices. Mix with minced tarragon and an onion. Mix al together with capers, olives, samphire, broombuds, mushrooms, oysters, lemon, orange, raisins, almonds, blue figs, Virginia potatoes, peas and red and white currants. Garnish with sliced oranges and lemons. Cover with oil and vinegar, beaten together."

One of these days I plan to make this concoction and put a picture of it up for your viewing pleasure. And if you get an itching to try some, you can come on over and we'll make it together! I'm still trying to figure out what broombuds are so if anyone knows, please share your wealth of knowledge with me!


And now a little pun to liven up your day:
You might describe a cow that has just given birth to an offspring as de-calf-inated!

4 comments:

RosebudWitt said...

Oh how I love thee Nicole, and your puns! I have been reminiscing about all those puns we read during the past 3 days. What about this one: "watching the blind man make his way through the nudist colony was a real "touching" experinence.

marcuswitt said...

How about this one -
Did you hear about the man who lost his left side?
He's all right now.

mmncgrand said...

I think broombuds is the little things hanging on at the end of the broom when you finish sweeping.

You are quite a writer.

Nicole said...

Thanks for the good puns, Mark and Rosie. Grandma - are you being serious about the broombuds? I'm wondering if you really want me to add that to my salmagundi.