Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My School Hiatus

Last Friday afternoon I headed out to begin my little spring break adventure in Michiana. As I drove north on U.S. 31, I pulled over to take a picture of this roadside restaurant signage. Not so sure if I'd like to stop and eat there...

I arrived at the Life Action Camp shortly after 5:00 attend a retreat that Carrie was speaking at. I ended up being able to stay in the new cottage with Carrie, Katie and Joy. The next day we had some delightful snacks during our session. These veggie fry/chips express pleasant time we had at the retreat.

As soon as the retreat was done on Saturday, we flew into wedding mode planning/shopping. While at Office Max I ran across these amazing erasable pens and highlighters. They do a top-notch job.




Carrie has a Bible study on Monday night and invited me to come along. We had a bit of time to kill before the study started so Joy and I ran to McDonald's and got a Shamrock shake!


On Tuesday I got to go to one of my favorite places in Niles, MI - The Paris Soda Shop! Joy, Maggie and Gideon joined me and we had a splendid lunch!


I got a chocolate phosphate and a rueben sandwich. (Popcorn is a free precursor to all meals.)


Carrie and I did the very exciting task of grocery shopping on Tuesday night. I don't think I've ever had a hen and I've never noticed how cute they are - they're like little individual turkeys. I can't wait to make one sometime soon!

Today I managed to complete one of the fastest and most successful parallel parking attempts in my entire driving career. Parallel parking is a very intimidating activity and I've tried to avoid it ever since I started driving. But in the last couple of months I have been entering situations where this is a required skill. I've noticed Niles has rather long parking spaces and their Main St. isn't too busy. So I thought I'd give my parallel parking skills a bit of practice. I was so proud of my speed and accuracy! You would appreciate it a lot more if you got to experience it with me, especially since my picture makes it look like there was no car behind me. But trust me - there is!


The reason I parallel parked was to visit a little book store in Niles. It of course had some nice things since it is filled with books! I almost purchased the book below because I like the illustrations... and I like pancakes!

6 comments:

mmncgrand said...

It looks like you are having a great time in MI. I know you love that area so I hope you are able to do all your little heart desires while there. Enjoy your break, Honey.

Matt and Sonya said...

What a great little post! So glad you are having fun on your break and got to spend time with Katie and Carrie. I hope it was a wonderful reprieve from school! love you, S

Nicole said...

I did have a great time in Michiana! However, I didnt' have time to do ALL that my heart desired so I guess another trip is just in order! But now I am back home trying to stay awake and motivated to get a tushload of school done...

RosebudWitt said...

I love how interesting your blog posts are. You are so creative and tell your stories in a way that are interesting and keep my attention...which says a lot. I get distracted way easily, and often can't finish reading people's blogs because my mind has gone elsewhere. But you evidently have the trick down. Talented, you are.

Nicole said...

Gee, thanks Rosie! Such generous words!

RosebudWitt said...

Its the truth Nicole. Perhaps you could be a writer?